There are many good things that happen at a church, but the central one is gathering together for worship. Here is a list of 10 things that you can expect to see and hear and do if you come and worship with us at Zion.
1. You can expect to be welcomed by members of Zion. We are a friendly congregation. You will get a hearty handshake and guidance from our greeters and ushers on where to go and what our service is like. We want you to be comfortable and prepared to hear God's Word.
2. At Zion we believe that God comes to serve us in the worship service. You can expect that God will offer you the forgiveness of sins, hear your needs, offer you mercy, teach you His ways, comfort you with the peace of Christ, and feed you at Communion. All this and more God does for you because He loves you. You will have beautiful opportunities to join all the others who are gathered in saying "thank you" to God.
3. We use a traditional liturgy at Zion. That means we follow an order of service that has its roots in sacred Scripture and has been shaped by generations of Christians who have gathered to worship God in different ages, all over the world. It is not hard to follow, but it may take a time or two for you to get comfortable following along. But its worth it. The liturgy is filled with comforting Scripture passages, beautiful music and singing, and promises of forgiveness in Christ.
4. We sing at Zion. Music is a precious gift from God. Everyone is welcome to join in and sing praise to God. Our culture today doesn't give people many opportunities to sing anymore. We tend to have "professionals" sing for us. But music is a language that the soul knows well, and singing helps us hear God's Word and music allows us to speak back to Him the Words he has spoken to us.
5. You will hear God's Word at Zion. The entire Bible is God's Word, inspired by the Holy Spirit, and written down by the Apostles and Prophets. Our entire teaching is based on the Bible. You will hear sections of the Bible in the liturgy, you will hear longer readings from the Bible taken from the Old and New Testament. You will hear the Bible explained and applied to you in the sermon. As you hear the Bible, you will hear about Jesus and what He did and does for you. God's Word is a powerful blessing.
6. You will hear about Jesus. The central message of the Scriptures is Jesus, for he is the source of salvation and eternal life. You will hear who Jesus is and what He did to save you. The Holy Spirit works through this Gospel to bring you to faith in his Son, and, by faith, we are saved.
7. We confess the faith of the Apostle's Creed and Nicene Creed. These are ancient statements of faith, drawn from the Bible, that Christians have been using for centuries to proclaim what they believe about God. We use at least one of these in our worship services each week.
8. An offering will be gathered during the service. Visitors are not expected to donate to the offering, as you are our guests, but you are welcome to if you so desire. The money gathered in the offering is used to provide for our workers, take care of the property, and enable the ministries that we provide to our community. These include education, care for the needy, support for the elderly, and the spread of the Gospel of Christ.
9. We have Communion every Sunday, except when it is the fifth Sunday of the month. Communion is a sacred meal given to us by Jesus, where He gives us His body and blood under the bread and wine for the forgiveness of sins. Before someone goes to Holy Communion, they first need to be taught about what it means and what it gives, because it is very powerful and needs to be taken in the right way. We ask that all visitors speak to Pastor before coming to Communion.
10. You will have access to pastoral care. After the service Pastor will greet you at the door. If you have any questions, or would like to talk with him, he is happy to meet with you.